IMPROVING THE SYSTEM
The Keep SA Moving plan makes improvements to the bus system, better connecting people to places of interest or opportunity. The goal is to ensure:
- All routes will have frequencies of 30 minutes or better during peak and off-peak times
- More frequent service on key corridors
- More evening, late-night and weekend service on key bus routes
The plan also proposes first- and last-mile connections with a goal to:
- Provide access to high-quality bus service with on-demand trips
- Explore partnerships with 3rd-party transportation providers
- Explore new transportation technologies
- Expand service for everyone, including people with disabilities
The goal is to have all routes with frequencies of 30 minutes or better during weekday peak times.
EXPANDING MOBILITY OPTIONS
On-demand VIA Link service offers an innovative ride-share option that works on the user’s schedule. It uses smaller vehicles better suited for suburban streets. Already active in the Northeast zone, the Keep SA Moving plan expands on-demand service to multiple zones throughout the service area with a goal to:
- Improve coverage in neighborhoods and suburban cities
- Expand access to more people with flexible service and accessible vehicles
- Increase the network so that 84% of the population and 92% of jobs will have access within a half mile of transit
BUILDING CAPITAL FACILITIES
The Keep SA Moving plan includes proposed investments in capital and technology projects designed to improve the customer experience, including:
- Mobility hubs that connect bus service to ride-share service
- Integrated information about third-party transportation providers for VIA customers
- Upgraded current trip planning and booking technology
Additionally, the plan recommends planning, designing, purchasing land and building a second maintenance and operations facility.
PREPARING FOR ADVANCED RAPID TRANSIT
Advanced Rapid Transit (ART) is a mode of transportation that uses modern vehicles traveling on existing roads. It features 10-minute or better service all day, all-door, level boarding, off-board fare collection and transit signal priority.
The Keep SA Moving plan provides for preparation for its development and advancing 4 corridors for future opportunities for federal investment. Development of the Advanced Rapid Transit system will require additional external funding.
A goal of the plan is to enhance the system so that 42% more residents will have increased access to frequent bus service that runs every 15 minutes or better during peak times.
Source: US Census LEHD On The Map 2017 and VIA Draft Plan