IMPROVING THE SYSTEM
The Keep SA Moving plan is designed to make improvements to the bus system to better connect people to places of interest or opportunity. The goal is to insure:
- All routes will have frequencies of 30 minutes or better during peak and off-peak times
- More frequent service on key corridors
- More evening, late-night and weekend service on key bus routes
The plan also proposes first-/last-mile connections with a goal to:
- Provide access to high-quality bus service with on-demand trips
- Explore partnerships with 3rd-party transportation providers
- Explore new transportation technologies
- Expand service for everyone, including people with disabilities
The goal is to have all routes with frequencies of 30 minutes or better during weekday peak times.
EXPANDING MOBILITY OPTIONS
On-demand VIA Link service offers an innovative ride-share option that works on the user’s schedule. It uses smaller vehicles better suited for suburban streets. Already active in the Northeast zone, the Keep SA Moving plan expands on-demand service to multiple zones throughout the service area with a goal to:
- Improve coverage in neighborhoods and suburban cities
- Expand access to more people with flexible service and accessible vehicles
- Increase the network so that 84% of the population and 92% of jobs will have access within a half mile of transit
BUILDING CAPITAL FACILITIES
The Keep SA Moving plan includes proposed investments in capital and technology projects designed to improve the customer experience, including:
- Mobility hubs that connect bus service to ride-share service
- Integrated information about third-party transportation providers for VIA customers
- Upgraded current trip planning and booking technology
Additionally, the plan recommends planning, designing, purchasing land and building a second maintenance and operations facility.
PREPARING FOR ADVANCED RAPID TRANSIT
Advanced Rapid Transit (ART) is a mode of transportation that uses modern vehicles traveling on existing roads. It features 10-minute or better service all day, all-door, level boarding, off-board fare collection and transit signal priority.
The Keep SA Moving plan provides for preparation for its development and advancing 4 corridors for future opportunities for federal investment. Development of the Advanced Rapid Transit system will require additional external funding.
A goal of the plan is to enhance the system so that 42% more residents will have increased access to frequent bus service that runs every 15 minutes or better during peak times.
Source: US Census LEHD On The Map 2017 and VIA Draft Plan